top of page



Our Mission

Our Mission is to foster a secure and nurturing environment for individuals and families confronting life’s struggles. We seek to promote positive life changes physically and spiritually, to those wishing to rebuild and renew.

Our Background

Turning Point, Inc. formerly known as Operation Shelter, was founded in October of 1989, by the Steuben County Ministerial Association to provide temporary emergency shelter for transients and the homeless of Steuben County.

Turning Point is a not-for-profit agency under the statues of the State of Indiana and the Federal Governement [501(c)(3)].

Our Facility

Turning Point is currently in use every day with occupancy ranging from 1 to 40 people. Individuals or families may be referred to Turning Point by local Clergy, Social Service Agencies, or Area Law Enforcement Departments. Before any individual can enter Turning Point, he or she must pass a Police Security Check. Each individual's stay at Turning Point is evaluated on a daily basis for the length of the six months stay. The expectation is that residents are to be employed or actively seeking employment. The operation of Turning Point is conducted under specific rules for occupants. Failure to follow the rules will result in dismissal from the facility.

Our Community

Turning Point's ministry depends upon churches, individuals, businesses and other service organizations for approximately 75% of its yearly budget. The remaining 25% comes from the City of Angola and the Steuben County United Way. Turning Point receives no federal or state funding for operational expenses. Turning Point also has an endowment fund to which you may give.

In addition to financial support from groups and individuals, Turning Point depends on other donations.
Learn more about our ongoing needs

Meet The Team!

Turning Point Staff And Board Of Directors

The executive director coordinates client services, supervises staff, volunteers and occupants. The Director also works closely with our service agencies to ensure that the best possible service is provided to the homeless.

A Board of Directors made up of community residents oversees operations. The staff and Board strive to provide Christian care and support for all who are in need.

2013-03-18 08.43.37.jpg

Leslie Schlottman
Executive Director

Hello! My name is Leslie Schlottman, I’m a woman of God and a single mother of three. I have lived in the Angola community since 2007. I worked the last four years at Fremont High School in the Functional Skills room. While working for the school I obtained a Bachelor’s of Science with a major in Psychology at Trine University. My youngest child graduated this year, and with my degree being completed I began a new journey and a new season in life. I truly believe God brought me to Turning Point. My heart’s desire and passion are to help people in need and that’s what this program does. I’m blessed to be in this position and I look forward to the direction that Turning Point is going in.

Work photo.jpg

Amanda Quaderer
Case Manager

Mike Votaw 300x300.jpg

Board Member
Mike Votaw

Paulette Fisher-untitled folder-0038.jpg

Board Member
Paulette Boekhout

Tammy Headshot.jpg

Board Member
Tammy Zarate

Jack 4x5 180 res.jpg

Board Member
Jack Bercaw

Mike and Becky.jpg

Board Member
Becky Young


Board Member
Jerry Spiker


Board Member
Corey Glasper

Get Involved!

If you are interested in volunteering or becoming part of Turning Point's board of directors, please contact us by calling (260)665-9191 or by emailing us at

bottom of page